Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Braving the Streets of Hanoi

After some days of leisure in Vang Vieng and Vientiane, Laos, I flew to Hanoi, Vietnam.

Two weeks in laid-back Lao PDR made the transition back to Hanoi a little overwhelming. We're staying in the old quarter of Hanoi, filled with narrow streets teeming with motorbikes, bicycles, taxis, and pedestrians darting in and out of the traffic.

From K - Hanoi I


I think survival of the fittest is central to Hanoi's operation. You really have to keep your head on a swivel (to quote most coaches) in order to ensure your toes stay intact.

Like most of SE Asia, Hanoi has no known traffic rules and very few streetlights. You could spend time trying to figure out exactly what is going on (see below), or you could pick a random Vietnamese person and tail them across the street, because they probably know what they are doing.

From K - Hanoi I


Hanoi is bursting with energy, commerce, and pho (noodle soup).

From K - Hanoi I


From K - Hanoi I


From K - Hanoi I

Luckily, the Hoan Kiem lake lies in the middle of the old quarter. It's an excellent place to walk without fear of motos, do some people-watching, or sit and have some Vietnamese iced coffee.

From K - Hanoi I


From K - Hanoi I

No comments:

Post a Comment