Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Teardrop on the Face of Eternity

Despite the difficulties we’ve encountered traveling in India and the fact that walking around the great Subcontinent can be less than comfortable and pleasant at times, the great Taj Mahal more than compensates for any inconvieninces.

I would agree with descriptions I’ve heard as the Taj Mahal being “the most perfect and beautiful building in the world”.

After paying for our entrance tickets, we walked into the Taj Mahal complex and slowly began walking toward the Taj. First we walked through the Great Gate.

From K - India I

From K - India I

The first glimpse of the building (from the front, we had already glimpsed the back of the building the night before) legitimately gave me goosebumps. Kind of strange, but goosebumps can occur involuntarily when one experiences something profound or moving. It has also happened to me when I hear an excellent song or I hear about a really good idea.
From K - India I

But back to the Taj Mahal.
From K - India I

From K - India I

The building was built by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his favorite wife, Mumtaz Mahal.
From K - India I

From K - India I

We spent almost 3 hours wandering around the Taj, taking pictures, and soaking in the architectural perfection. When it was time to go and meet our driver, Sheru, the four of us stood at the entrance, transfixed by the Taj and unable to take our eyes off it. Leaving was quite a process because every few steps we took toward the exit, we had to turn around for one last glimpse.
From K - India I

From K - India I

Photos really don’t do the building justice. It is immense and awe-inspiring.

One last peek.
From K - India I


No comments:

Post a Comment