Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Sights of Bangkok: Wat Pho

This morning we visited Wat Pho: one of the largest and oldest wats (temples) in Bangkok.

It was also the birthplace of traditional Thai medicine and massage.

Today is the full moon, which coincides with rituals in Theravada Buddhism, which 95% of Thais practice. The wat wasn't very busy with tourists this morning, but there were a lot of Buddhist monks and Thais coming to the temple to pray.

It was absolutely beautiful. I'm glad I'm still a bit jetlagged because 8am is the perfect time to visit a famous temple in busy, muggy, hot Bangkok. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.


































I'll end on a delicious note: my best meal yet was green curry and vegetables at a small restaurant filled with locals in Siam Square.

No comments:

Post a Comment