Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

First Impressions of India: Delhi

After a relaxing day and a half in Bangkok, we flew to Delhi.

I left behind delicious salads and fresh mango at the "vegetarian alley" in Bangkok, sad that I wouldn't be able to eat fresh produce in India (in case of water contamination), but excited to try the famous dhal, channa masala, chai, and naan.

From K - India I


From K - India I


Goodbye vegetables

From K - India I


Our first meal in India: paratha (fried bread), pickles, chutney, and boiled eggs

From K - India I
.

Delhi is an absolute nightmare for travelers. You can correctly assume that 100% of the people that approach you are trying to scam you. The most common scam is tuktuk, taxi, and rickshaw drivers refusing to take you where you want to go, and instead take you to a guesthouse/souvenir shop/hotel where they are paid a commission. We learned that the first rule of travel in Delhi is "trust no one". Aside from that, the city was interesting, albeit extremely polluted. I felt like I had asthma the entire time we were there.

Out of the hundreds of "tourist information" shops, this is literally the ONLY official one. It only took us a few sweaty hours of walking with our backpacks to find it.

From K - India I


Some sights around Connaught Place

From K - India I


From K - India I


From K - India I


From K - India I


From K - India I


Hello Pollution
From K - India I

No comments:

Post a Comment