Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Monkeys and Forts

Our next stop in Jaipur: Jaigarh Fort, located on a hill outside the city. It was built in 1726 to protect the nearby Amer Fort.

From K - India I

From K - India I


The fort is also home to the largest cannon in Asia. Apparently the cannon has only been fired once - I don't even want to imagine the sound it would make when fired. The charge (of 100kg) was capable of traveling over 35 km!
From K - India I

From K - India I


The fort also is home to a sizable monkey community.
From K - India I

From K - India I


They might look cute, but they can be quite horrible. They're not scared of humans at all and they frequently run up to tourists and steal cameras or sunglasses. Sometimes they hiss and bite. I really don't want monkey rabies so I've been staying as far away as possible from these guys. I've found that wielding an umbrella can give me peace of mind when I have to walk by a monkey gang.

As close as I'm willing to get:
From K - India I


I don't think I've seen a camel up close until this trip. Such strange creatures.
From K - India I


The fort was built on the hills outside of Jaipur and has amazing views of the valley and the city.
From K - India I


From K - India I


View of Amer Fort from Jaigarh Fort:
From K - India I

No comments:

Post a Comment